cheJake

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back in the USSA

Here I am back in the country of my birth for the first time in 7 years. I first cam to NYC, then went on to DC. The DC trip has involved meeting between me and my lead client and Carl Chidlow, budget director of the Democratic National Committee, with the aim of hooking the Democrats on my client's web-based intelligence tool, www.silobreaker.com

The meeting itself went well enough; my client presented well and was politely received. With luck, it will lead to greater things.

It has been strange being back in the US. The paradigm is so familiar, yet different. It's more corporate. New York was great, even if I didn't see all that much. Just the scale and energy of it all was great to experience again. It has lost a lot of its edge. The barbarians have been beaten back and replaced by a whole lotta whitemen. But it's still something to see.

Tomorrow I see my old friend John Lippert and will visit my father's ashes.

I'm very tired. Up this morning at 2:30 to get to the airport, where delays and bizarre hassles nearly caused me to miss my flight.

But all is well. Now hanging out in DNC headquarters in Washington, DC. Waiting for my old friend Carl to finish so we can go out for dinner and drinks.

It is clear to me that I'm not only tired, but still ailing from the cold I came down with on the flight over from Budapest to NY. But I'm better than I was, if not at my all-time best.

It's intriguing to see Carl again. He's very much his old self, but mature, sharp, a real leader. It will be cool to hang out with him this evening.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jake, found you at last! Give me a call (44 207 995 4048) or send me an email when you get a chance. I'm still covering Turkey but from London for the past 12 years. Sue and I have two kiddos, Austin whose almost 7 and Troy who is 3. (distancedemon5@yahoo.co.uk)
    Mike H

     

Post a Comment

<< Home